By Gary Burns
- Includes over dozen essays protecting the spectrum of pop culture experiences from foodstuff to folklore and from television to technology
- Features contributions from confirmed and up-and-coming students from a number of disciplines
- Offers a close historical past of the learn of well known culture
- Balances new views at the politics of tradition with in-depth research of issues on the leading edge of pop culture studies
Read Online or Download A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Best popular culture books
This publication offers a finished, full-length research of the makes use of of media and verbal exchange applied sciences by way of diverse social actors in Malaysia. not like different experiences of the media in Malaysia which be aware of "political economic climate" or "freedom of the media" ways, this e-book specializes in the ways that varied media types have constituted cultural practices and tool kin among specific audiences and publics.
Magic Lantern Empire examines German colonialism as a mass cultural and political phenomenon unfolding on the heart of a nascent, conflicted German modernity. John Phillip brief attracts jointly strands of propaganda and visible tradition, technology and delusion to teach how colonialism constructed as a contested kind of wisdom that either reproduced and blurred classification distinction in Germany, beginning the loads right into a glossy industry worldview.
Over the sixty years of his lifestyles, Batman has encountered a powerful array of cultural icons and has steadily turn into one himself. This attention-grabbing publication examines what Batman potential and has intended to many of the audiences, teams and groups who've attempted to manage and interpret him over the many years.
Is there one visible tradition or are there a number of visible cultures? at the one hand, it truly is noticeable that photos don't exist and can't be understood independently. relatively, they're embedded in associations and cultural contexts. This universal flooring indicates an figuring out of visible tradition as a novel phenomenon.
- Millennial Fandom: Television Audiences in the Transmedia Age
- Protest and Politics: The Promise of Social Movement Societies
- Kitsch: From Education to Public Policy (Pedagogy and Popular Culture)
- Film and Fairy Tales: The Birth of Modern Fantasy (International Library of the Moving Image)
- Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr.
- Indian Country: Essays on Contemporary Native Culture (Indigenous Studies)
Additional info for A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)
A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) by Gary Burns